Santa Fe LEGACY 2-10-10-2 Steam Locomotive #3000
6-11155 | Price: $2,249.99
The Santa Fe 2-10-10-2 was born out of the spirit of innovation. It was a daring attempt by the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway to improve upon its early successes with mallet-type locomotives and to push this concept to the limit. Their theory was simple – combine two articulated engines under a single boiler with the aim of doubling the power of a single locomotive. By doing so, railroad companies expected to save big money on maintenance, fuel, and crew costs without compromising raw motive power. Santa Fe’s most successful early effort with mallets was the conversion of 2-6-2 locos into 2-6-6-2 “Prairie Mallets”. In 1911, they pushed the idea to the limit by doubling up existing Santa Fe 2-10-2 engines to create the ultimate 2-10-10-2 mallet. Imagine the power of such a massive locomotive!
Besides its enormous size, one of the most arresting features of the 2-10-10-2 was the sleek “turtleback” tender that serviced the loco. With rounded sides and rear, and an overall modern appearance, turtleback tenders had a clean, streamlined look that was years ahead of its time. Most eye-catching was the distinctive cow-catcher fitted on the rear of the tender.
With this locomotive, Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway discovered the limits of the compound mallet locomotive experiment. While their tractive effort was phenomenal, the engines suffered in overall speed. Simply put, the under-designed boiler and firebox could not make steam fast enough to power the massive cylinders at higher speeds. Ultimately, 3000-class mallets were relegated mainly to helper service in California on the Cajon Pass and on the Tehachapi Loop. By 1918, all ten “magnificent failures” were converted back to 2-10-2 locomotives. The unique turtleback tenders, however, lived on throughout the steam era to service a large assortment of Santa Fe engines.
- Unparalleled Detailing and Lighting Features!
- Like the CC2, our 2-10-10-2 takes model train realism to new heights with unprecedented body detailing, interior cab realism, and numerous separately applied parts.
- Upgraded realistic coupling and hose details between locomotive and tender
- Swing-out scale front coupler with interchangeable O gauge coupler for double-heading
- Opening roof hatch on cab
- Decorated cab interior with enhanced panel detail
- Cab window glass
- Enhanced realistic lighting in cab interior
- Directional lighting including operating headlight and back-up light
- Illuminated front classification lights on locomotive
- Illuminated rear marker lights on tender
- Illuminated number boards
- Flickering firebox in cab
- Variable ashpan glow
- New Steam and Smoke Features!
- Lionel introduces TruRail steam, a new CAB-controlled, variable-intensity steam and smoke effect. See all the features operators can simulate:
- Dramatic and realistic BLOW-DOWN effects
- New and accurate WHISTLE STEAM effects
- Fan-driven smoke unit with adjustable smoke output delivers varying intensity of smoke to main stack, blow-down valve, and whistle
- All steam effects are synchronized to the RailSounds sound system and are completely user controllable
- Upgraded Sound Features!
- The LEGACY RailSounds sound system synchronizes realistic sounds to nearly all aspects of locomotive operation, features, and effects. This product also includes two state-of-the-art FatBoy speakers for the ultimate in sound reproduction. Just look at how many ways you can enhance the sound experience:
- Control realistic sounds synchronized to TruRail Steam features including blow-down and whistle steam effects
- Independently adjustable volume control allows you to use the Remote Controller to lower the level of background effects (such as chuffing) while keeping operator controlled effects (such as the whistle) at full volume
- TruRail Dialog – Activate our upgraded dialog features which boasts the most realistic dialogue scenes and authentic railroad terminology possible. Also, dialog scenes can change with engine operation and user control.
- Five official railroad speed with CrewTalk dialog
- TruRail Signals – Activate the "quilling" whistle and user playable bell featuring continuous or single strike sounds with variable intensity. There's a dedicated CAB-2 control for both whistle and bell functions
- TruRail Laboring – Control the variable laboring sounds with 32 levels of simulated dynamic load of the locomotive
- TruRail Chuff – Experience prototypical four-chuffs per revolution chuffing sound synchronized with linkage and drive wheel position
- Plus all the high-end features you've come to expect from Lionel!
- LEGACY Control System – You can run the engine in LEGACY Control mode, in TrainMaster Command Control mode, or in Conventional mode with a standard transformer
- Odyssey II Speed Control with ON/OFF switch High-torque motor with momentum flywheel
- Wireless Tether connection between locomotive and tender
- ElectroCoupler on rear of tender
- Die-cast metal locomotive body, frame, and trucks
- Die-cast metal tender body and trucks
- Traction tires
- Accurate separately-applied builder's plates
- Engineer and fireman figures
Road Number: #3000
Gauge: Standard O Scale
Dimensions: Length: Approx 31"
RailLine: Santa Fe
Minimum Curve: O-72
Lionel Signature Edition Volume One 2010