The Best Friend of Charleston
The Best Friend of Charleston was built in 1830 for the South Carolina Canal and Rail Road Company by the West Point Foundry in New York. The engine arrived by boat to South Carolina in October of that year, and was unofficially named by the townspeople The Best Friend of Charleston. This little locomotive chugged out of Charleston on Christmas day with its first load of happy passengers without a hitch. The engine was not only one of the most technologically advanced engines at the time, but it was also one of the fastest, making speeds of almost 20 miles per hour. (Unfortunately, it was also one of the first engines to experience a boiler explosion when the safety valve was tied down by an inexperienced fireman. This caused the boiler to exceed its safe operating pressure and explode.) A replica of the Best Friend of Charleston was built in 1928 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the South Carolina Canal and Rail Road Company by the Southern Railway. This replica still enjoys occasional steam ups by the Charleston Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society during large events.
Lionel is proud to introduce a powered scale model of this beloved locomotive.
BEST FRIENDS OF CHARLESTON
- SKU: 6-30065
- Dimensions: <span lang=en style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'times new roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'times new roman'; mso-ansi-language: en; mso-fareast-language: en-us; mso-bidi-language: ar-sa">Length: 9-1/2”</span>
- Gauge: Standard O Scale
- price: 349.99
- year: 2007
- rail line: South Carolina Canal & RR
- Minimum Radius: O-27
- Road Number: None
- Powered Locomotive with tender
- Passenger Car
- Painted brass bodies and wheels
- Limited Production
- Switch controlled forward and reverse Operation
- Scale model operates on O-27 curves
Find the latest manuals in our support section.
Buy any replacement parts in our support section.
Contact a service station to fix your product