Lionel VISION Line
Santa FE 3000 Steam Locomotive
In 1911, Santa Fe 2-10-2’s were combined with Baldwin-built front boiler sections to create ten mammoth
2-10-10-2 articulated mallet locomotives. At that time, these were the largest locomotives in the world –
over 120 feet in length with tender, and weighing nearly a million pounds.
Besides its enormous size, one of the most arresting features of the 2-10-10-2 was the sleek “turtleback” tender that serviced the loco. With rounded sides and rear, and an overall modern appearance, turtleback tenders had a clean, streamlined look that was years ahead of its time. Most eye-catching was the distinctive cow-catcher fitted on the rear of the tender. With this locomotive, Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway discovered the limits of the compound mallet locomotive experiment. While their tractive effort was phenomenal, the engines suffered in overall speed. Simply put, the under-designed boiler and firebox could not make steam fast enough to power the massive cylinders at higher speeds. Ultimately, 3000-class mallets were relegated mainly to helper service in California on the Cajon Pass and on the Tehachapi
Loop. By 1918, all ten “magnificent failures” were converted back to 2-10-2 locomotives. The unique turtleback tenders, however, lived on throughout the steam era to service a large assortment of Santa Fe engines.
Wha t ma kes this a Vision offering? For starters, like all top-of-the-line Lionel locomotives, it comes fully equipped with the LEGACY Control System, Odyssey II Speed Control, and LEGACY RailSounds; it has all
the hi-tech realism you expect from Lionel. But that’s only the beginning.
Unparalleled VISION Detailing and Lighting Features!
Like the CC2, our 2-10-10-2 takes model train realism to new heights with unprecedented body detailing, interior cab realism, and numerous separately applied parts.
New Steam and Smoke Features!
- Upgraded realistic coupling a • nd hose details between
locomotive and tender
- Swing-out scale front coupler with interchangeable
O gauge coupler for double-heading
- Opening roof hatch on cab
- Decorated cab interior with enhanced panel detail
- Cab window glass
- Enhanced realistic lighting in cab interior
- Directional lighting including operating headlight and
- Illuminated front classification lights on locomotive
- Illuminated rear marker lights on tender
- Illuminated number boards
- Flickering firebox in cab
- Variable ashpan glow
Lionel introduces TruRail Steam – a new CAB-controlled, variable intensity steam and smoke effect. See all the features operators can simulate:
Upgraded Sound Features!
- Dramatic and realistic BLO W-DOWN effects
- New and accurate WHISTLE STE AM effects
- Fan-driven smoke unit with adjustable smoke output
delivers varying intensity of smoke to main stack,
blow-down valve, and whistle
- All steam effects are synchronized to the RailSounds
sound system and are user controllable
Plus all the high-end features you’ve come to expect from Lionel
- LEGACY RailSounds sound system synchronizes realistic
sounds to nearly all aspects of locomotive operation,
features, and effects. This product also includes two
state-of-the-art FatBoy speakers for the ultimate in sound
reproduction. Just look at how many ways you can enhance
the sound experience:
- Control realistic sounds synchronized to TruRail Steam
features including blowdown and whistle steam effects
- Independently adjustable volume control allows you to
use the Remote Controller to lower the level of background
effects (such as chuffing) while keeping operator controlled
effects (such as the whistle) at full volume
- TruRail Dialog – Activate our upgraded dialog features
which boasts the most realistic dialogue scenes and
authentic railroad terminology possible. Also, dialog
scenes can change with engine operation and user control.
- Five official railroad speed with CrewTalk dialog
- TruRail Signals – Activate the “quilling” whistle and user
playable bell featuring continuous or single strike sounds
with variable intensity. There’s a dedicated CAB-2 control
for both whistle and bell functions
- TruRail Laboring – Control the variable laboring sounds
with 32 levels of simulated dynamic load of the locomotive.
- TruRail Chuff – Experience prototypical four-chuffs per
revolution chuffing sound synchronized with linkage and
drive wheel position.
- LEGACY Control System equipped – You can run the
engine in LEGACY Control mode, in TrainMaster Command
Control mode, or in Conventional mode with a standard
- Odyssey II Speed Control with ON/OFF switch
- High-torque motor with momentum flywheel
- Wireless Tether connection between locomotive and tender
- ElectroCoupler on rear of tender
- Die-cast metal locomotive body, frame, and trucks
- Die-cast metal tender body and trucks
- Traction tires
- Accurate separately-applied builder’s plates
- Engineer and fireman figures
You need to upgrade your Flash Player
This is replaced by the Flash content.
Place your alternate content here and users without the Flash plugin or with
tags. Include a link to bypass the detection if you wish.