Canadian Pacific LEGACY DD35A #9864
UP Double Diesel dressed in the popular ‘American flag’ paint scheme
In the early 1960s, Union Pacific approached three major loco manufacturers with a formidable challenge: Build the railroad a new diesel-electric loco set that could provide a total of 15,000 h.p. which would decrease the number of lash-ups necessary for U.P.’s long distance operations. The winning builder was GM’s Electro Motive Division with a massive, cabless “double diesel” called the DD35, completed in 1963. In essence, EMD’s new 88-foot engine was made up of two GP35 diesel locomotives built on a single chassis, and resting on newly-designed 4-axle “D” trucks.
Originally GM configured the consist to run as a four-unit set, with two 5000 h.p. DD35 booster units sandwiched between two 1500 h.p. GP35 diesels. What an incredible sight it must have been in 1963 to see this prototype set of engines on its nationwide promotional tour, all four units decorated boldly in red and white stripes! Union Pacific was delighted with the performance of these engines and immediately bought 27 of them in 1964, along with GP35 diesels to complete the unit sets.
Soon after the initial purchase, Union Pacific requested EMD to redesign the DD35 booster engine to include a cab in front. EMD complied, and in 1965 they sold a total of 15 cab-equipped DD35A diesels to the U.P. Besides the obvious cab addition to the engine, the DD35A also sported a narrow nose and a new style of radiator on the roof that flared out dramatically along the roof sides. DD35A diesels were solid workhorses for the Union Pacific until the early 1980s when the downturn of the economy forced the last of these mammoth engines into retirement. Unfortunately, not a single DD35 diesel survives today. As we look back, the DD35 represents a significant turning point for the Union Pacific as it shifted out of the turbine era and committed fully to a new era of modern diesel electrics.
- LEGACY Control System
- Smoke Unit
- Odyssey System II
- LEGACY RailSounds
- SKU: 6-38494
- Dimensions: Length: Approx. 22”
- Gauge: Standard O Scale
- price: 599.99
- year: 2012
- rail line: Canadian Pacific
- Minimum Radius: O-42 /O-54 Recommended
- Catalog Year: 2012
- Catalog Title: Lionel 2012 Volume 2
- Road Number: 9864
- <b>LEGACY Control System equipped</b> – able to run in Legacy Control mode, in TrainMaster Command Control mode, or in Conventional mode with a standard transformer
- <b>Odyssey II Speed Control</b> with On/Off switch
- <b>LEGACY RailSounds</b> sound system featuring: -CrewTalk dialog and TowerCom announcements, each with different scenarios depending on whether the locomotive is in motion or stopped-Six official railroad speeds with CrewTalk dialog -Eight diesel RPM levels-LEGACY "Real-Time Quilling Horn" control with instant quilling and correctly timed warning signals-Single hit or continuous mechanical bell sounds
- Dual powerful maintenance-free motors with momentum flywheels
- Refined Conventional Transformer Control mode with lower starting speeds
- Front and rear <b>ElectroCouplers</b>
- Traction tires
- Smokestack output from two separate stacks
- Fan-driven smoke unit
- Adjustable smoke output
- Directional lighting, including LED headlights on front and rear
- Illuminated number boards
- Illuminated cab interior
- Die-cast metal trucks, pilot, and fuel tank
- Die-cast metal frame
- Separately applied metal details
- Engineer and conductor figures
Find the latest manuals in our support section.
Buy any replacement parts in our support section.
Contact a service station to fix your product