Pennsylvania LEGACY Scale 4-6-2 K-4 #5409 (Tuscan)
Tuscan K4: Fact or Fantasy?
In the 1930s the Pennsylvania Railroad painted ten K4s Tuscan red, matching their passenger fleet and highlighting their Red Arrow service from New York through Pittsburgh to Detroit. Making that statement is – thanks to the internet – much like a raucous family dinner with lots of voices, lots of opinions and a variety of decibel levels.
Let’s start with the ‘voice of authority’ from secondary research sources: two books by Alvin Staufer. In Pennsy Power in 1962, Staufer states that a few were painted Tuscan but can’t say for sure which. In his 1978 The Many Faces of the Pennsy K4, he writes that there were ten and three of them were engines 2761, 5409, and 5436.
A number of Tuscan K4s from HO scale to 6 1/2-foot butane-fired live steam versions have been on the market wearing the road numbers cited by Staufer. Not so fast, says an online skeptic: Staufer has numerous errors in Pennsy Power. There is no proof of one let alone ten. And therefore it is not a fact but speculation.
But, retorts a believer, who quotes the Pennsylvania Railroad Technical and Historical Society as saying, At least one K4 was painted in Tuscan red in the 1930's for a short time.
I have seen proof, a color photograph, claims a third. At last, a primary source!
No color photography at the time, another voice chimes in, you must be thinking of a painting at the Altoona Museum. Perhaps or perhaps not, Kodachrome was introduced in 1936.
Speaking of the Altoona Railroaders Memorial Museum, layout builder Clarke Dunham included a Tuscan K4 on the museum’s layout because the rail historian on the project allowed this as probable…besides, it's a really eye-catching paint scheme.
On that, we can all agree. Now, what's for dessert?
- LEGACY Control System
- Smoke Unit
- Wireless Tether
- Odyssey System II
- LEGACY RailSounds
K-4 Smoking Whistle Addendum
LEGACY K-4 Pacific 10/11
- SKU: 6-11319
- Dimensions: Length: 21"
- Gauge: Standard O Scale
- price: 899.99
- year: 2011
- rail line: Pennsylvania
- Minimum Radius: O-36
- Catalog Year: 2013
- Catalog Title: Lionel 2013 Signature Edition
- Road Number: 5409
- <b>LEGACY Control System</b> equipped – able to run in LEGACY Control mode, in TrainMaster Command Control mode, or in Conventional mode with a standard transformer
- <b>Odyssey II Speed Control</b> with On/Off switch
- <b>LEGACY RailSounds</b> system featuring:- CrewTalk dialog and TowerCom announcements, each with different scenarios depending on whether the locomotive is in motion or stopped- DynaChuff synchronized with 32 levels of intensity as the locomotive gains speed- LEGACY "Real-Time Quilling Whistle" control with instant response for realistic signature 'quilling' and correctly timed warning signals- Single hit or continuous mechanical bell sounds- Sequence Control plays the sound effects of an entire trip, including warning sounds and announcements, based on the movement and speed of the locomotive- Current speed and fuel dialog, refueling sound effects
- Powerful maintenance-free motor with momentum flywheel
- <b>Wireless Tether</b> connection between locomotive and tender
- <b>ElectroCoupler</b> on rear of tender
- Directional lighting including operating headlight and back-up light on rear of tender
- Illuminated classification lights on the front of locomotive
- Traction tires
- Interior illumination in cab
- Fan-driven smoke unit
- Adjustable smoke output
- Die-cast metal locomotive body, pilot, and trucks
- Separately applied metal details
- Die-cast metal tender body and trucks
- Separately applied builder's plates
- Realistic separately applied coal load
- Opening tender water hatch for easy access to volume control
- Authentically detailed cab interior
- Glowing firebox in cab
- Cab glass windows
- Engineer and fireman figures
Find the latest manuals in our support section.
Buy any replacement parts in our support section.
Contact a service station to fix your product