Pilot VISION Baldwin Centipede
Pilot Locomotives - Undecorated BeautiesProduced in limited numbers, Lionel “pilot” engines are finalized with no decoration applied. It’s a unique way to appreciate the fine form of your favorite engine, examine it’s many separately-applied realistic details, and to elevate your locomotive to true collector’s status.?A special clear coating is applied to the metal on these fully operable, undecorated engines to protect them for years to come.
The massive Baldwin “Centipede” diesel locomotive
In the mid-1940s, Baldwin Locomotive Works created a behemoth two-unit diesel prototype, the DR-12-8-1500/2, generating orders from the Pennsylvania, Union Pacific (but never received), Seaboard Air Line, and NdeM railroads. To meet the needs of the bustling Postwar economy, the units went into production starting in 1945 and continuing through the first half of 1948.
Unfortunately, the locomotives were built one by one, introducing differences in wiring and construction that would later contribute to their demise. Nonetheless, the Centipedes take their place as some of the largest diesel locomotives ever produced—and the most distinctive, with their iconic Baldwin “baby face” appearance. At over 181 feet for an A-A pair, these lengthy locomotive sets generated 6,000 horsepower.
- LEGACY Control System
- Smoke Unit
- Odyssey System II
- LEGACY RailSounds
- SKU: 6-38752
- Dimensions: Length: Approx 46"
- Gauge: Standard O Scale
- price: 2199.99
- year: 2013
- rail line: UNDECORATED
- Minimum Radius: O-72
- Catalog Year: 2013
- Catalog Title: Lionel 2013 Fall Catalog
- Road Number: None
- A-A Set Fetures
- Two Power A-units
- Combined VISION Diesel Sound
- <b>VISION DIESEL sounds</b> - Two speakers in each unit with unique sounds in each engine mixed for the ultimate in sound fidelity
- <b>LEGACY RailSounds</b> sound system featuring: - CrewTalk dialog and TowerCom announcements, each with different scenarios depending on whether the locomotive is in motion or stopped- Six official railroad speeds with CrewTalk dialog- Eight diesel RPM levels- LEGACY "Real-Time Quilling Horn" control with instant quilling and correctly timed warning signals- Single hit or continuous mechanical bell sounds
- Both Units Feature
- <b>LEGACY Control System</b>– you can run the engine in LEGACY Control mode, in TrainMaster Command Control mode, or in Conventional mode with a standard transformer
- <b>Odyssey II Speed Control</b> with ON/OFF switch
- Front <b>ElectroCoupler</b> on both units
- Two powerful maintenance-free motors with momentum flywheel per unit
- Refined Conventional Transformer Control mode with lower starting speeds
- Traction tires
- Two fan-driven smoke units per locomotive
- Adjustable smoke output
- Directional lighting including dual LED headlights on front and rear
- Operating marker lights
- Illuminated number boards
- Die-cast metal body, trucks, pilot, and fuel tank
- Metal frame
- High level of separately applied metal details
- Engineer and conductor figures
Find the latest manuals in our support section.
Buy any replacement parts in our support section.
Contact a service station to fix your product