Southern Pacific Fruit Express 57' Mechanical Refrigerator Car #456465
Mechanical Refrigerator CarsBy the 1960’s, railroads’ aging ice reefers were being rapidly replaced by vast fleets of efficient Mechanical Refrigerator Cars. As manufacturers like Pacific Car & Foundry and Western Fruit Express developed more efficient ways to keep perishables fridge-fresh when transported by rail, these modern, diesel-powered cars became a common and colorful sight on America’s rails.
Based on actual drawings from the mid-1960’s, these cars are designed with brake equipment positioned low on the ends, short ladders, and no running board on the modern roof. Slide open the vented mechanical compartment door to inspect the diesel engine on the inside of the car.
- SKU: 6-27328
- Dimensions: Length: 14 1/4”
- Gauge: Standard O Scale
- price: 69.99
- year: 0
- rail line: Southern Pacific
- Minimum Radius: O-31
- Catalog Year: 2009
- Catalog Title: Lionel Signature Catalog 2009
- Road Number: 456465
- Die-cast metal sprung trucks and operating couplers
- Hidden uncoupling tabs
- Rotating bearing caps
- Separately applied metal underframe details
- Opening doors
- Sliding compartment door reveals diesel engine
- Cars are available in unique road numbers
- Individually boxed cars
Find the latest manuals in our support section.
Buy any replacement parts in our support section.
Contact a service station to fix your product